Fax software is helping today’s businesses enjoy all of the benefits of faxing – without the need to have a real fax machine in their office.
Let’s face it: fax machines are expensive, large, and annoying to maintain. They’re not nearly as necessary as they were in the 1980s – but many businesses still rely on fax machines every day.
Whether you’re running a small to mid-sized business, you’re a self-employed entrepreneur, or you’re just cutting costs during the early days of your startup, we’ve picked the best fax software for businesses and entrepreneurs. Here’s our list:
5 Best Fax Software For Businesses and Entrepreneurs
RingCentral Fax Software
RingCentral is the most popular fax software for businesses and entrepreneurs. A quick glance at the company’s prices will tell you why: the cheap prices and high monthly allotments are great – but they become even more attractive once you realize that RingCentral has more features than any other online fax software company on this list.
Electronic signatures are one of the most popular RingCentral features. Out of all the other fax software on this list, only eFax offers digital signatures.
Why are digital signatures important? It’s one of the biggest advantages of online faxing service. Typically, you’d have to print off a fax, sign it, then re-scan it and fax it back. With fax software + digital signatures, you can add a verified signature electronically using your computer or mobile device and send the fax back in seconds. It’s incredibly useful for businesses that do a lot of business over fax machines (or work with lawyers who like to send documents via fax machines).
But the true value of RingCentral comes from its ability to bundle the fax software with cloud PBX and calling systems. RingCentral isn’t just a computer faxing company. Instead, they’re primarily a communications company that helps businesses install things like VOIP networks and cloud PBX systems. These services start at around $25 from RingCentral. Most packages include online faxing free-of-charge.
That’s important for many new businesses. If your business has grown to a point where you need a PBX system and online faxing, then you can save bundles of money by ordering from RingCentral.
The fact that RingCentral integrates with Microsoft Outlook and Office is also important for many businesses and entrepreneurs. It means you can use your existing email client – and your existing Office document formats – to easily send and receive online faxes. You don’t need to convert your Word docs to PDFs, for example.
Anyways, here’s how much businesses and entrepreneurs can expect to pay for RingCentral:
- Fax 500 ($9.99 Per Month): Includes 500 sent and received pages per month ($7.99 per month when billed annually).
- Fax 1000 ($17.99 Per Month): Includes 1000 sent and received pages per month ($12.99 per month annual rate).
- Fax 2500 ($59.99 Per Month): Includes 2500 total sent and received pages per month ($49.99 per month annual rate).
- Fax Unlimited ($49.99 Per Month): Includes unlimited faxes per month as well as a dedicated fax number for each employee ($39.99 per month annual rate).
Some of the other key features available through RingCentral include:
- Digital signatures
- Free 30 day trial
- User-friendly apps for Android and iOS
- Mobile notification support
- International faxing
- Ability to choose a local or toll-free number on sign up
- 5.9 cents per overage fax page sent and received
- Integration with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook
Who Should Use RingCentral?
RingCentral is the most popular online fax software for small businesses for good reason. It’s packed with valuable features, has an easy-to-use interface, and can be bundled with PBX and VOIP systems for maximum savings. The plans are also big enough to scale from small businesses to larger corporations – so RingCentral can grow with your business.
Nextiva Fax Software
Nextiva is the best choice for business owners and entrepreneurs who need to fax to/from North America and don’t need lots of bells and whistles. Nextiva is incredibly affordable, with a basic plan that includes 500 sent/received faxes per month starting at just $4.95 per month on an annual subscription.
If you’re looking for cheap online faxing services, you won’t find a cheaper service than Nextiva.
The cheap price comes with a cost. You won’t be able to fax international numbers outside of the United States or Canada with Nextiva.
The other electronic fax software providers on this list all offer international faxing (although you have to pay various long distance fees).
For some businesses, the lack of international faxing is a deal breaker. Others, however, won’t really notice the difference. If your business has no international clients, customers, or suppliers, then there’s nothing to worry about.
Here’s how the Nextiva pricing plans work for businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Basic ($8.95 Per Month): 500 sent/received pages per month ($4.95 per month when paid annually).
- Premium ($17.95 Per Month): 1000 sent/received pages per month ($12.95 per month when paid annually)
- Max ($34.95 Per Month): 3000 sent/received pages per month ($29.95 per month when paid annually)
Whether you sign up for an annual subscription or you’re going month-to-month, Nextiva is still the cheapest option on this list. Some of its competitors like MyFax and eFax charge twice as much for less than half as many included faxes!
Of course, even if you do go over your Nextiva monthly allotments, you won’t be paying too much in added fees. The company offers 3 cent overage fees on all extra pages sent and received.
Other Nextiva features include:
- Apps for iPhone and Android
- 24/7 toll-free customer service
- No international faxing available
- The ability to fax up to 5 recipients (both fax numbers and email addresses) simultaneously
- Compatible with your existing fax machine (you can even keep your fax number)
- No digital signatures
Who Should Use Nextiva?
If you don’t need electronic signatures, international faxing, or flashy mobile apps and web-based UIs, then there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Nextiva. It’s the most cost-effective option on this list and is an excellent choice for businesses and entrepreneurs who need to exclusively fax other American and Canadian businesses.
MyFax Fax Software
MyFax plans start at $10 per month. At that price, you can send 100 faxes and receive 200 faxes. That’s relatively low compared to other providers listed here at that price range.
However, MyFax somewhat makes up for it by offering a range of features that include international faxing, full Outlook/Office support, and the ability to send faxes to multiple recipients simultaneously.
The only major feature missing from MyFax is the ability to add digital signatures. That can be a deal breaker for some businesses. With digital signatures, you can add a verified signature to your faxes without needing to print it off or use third-party software. MyFax does not yet have that feature.
Here are MyFax’s current subscription plans for businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Best Value ($10 Per Month): Send 100 faxes, receive 200 faxes per month
- Most Popular ($20 Per Month): Send 200 faxes, receive 200 faxes per month
- Fax More ($40 Per Month): Send 400 faxes, receive 400 faxes per month
The main criticism of MyFax is its expensive prices. For $40 per month, you get just 800 sent/received faxes. That may seem like a lot until you realize that other online fax software services typically offer 2500+ sent/received faxes at that price range (RingCentral even offers unlimited faxes for $40 per month!)
MyFax’s overage charges are also relatively steep, clocking in at 10 cents per page. That can add up quickly.
Here are some of the other important things to know about MyFax before you buy:
- The introductory $10 per month plan comes with a 30 day free trial (you get to keep your trial fax number once that trial is over)
- Integrate MyFax online faxing with ACT customer management software
- MyFax can handle a wide range of faxable document formants, including everything from formats you expect (PDF and DOC) to formats like TIF
- Fax by iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry
- Toll-free customer support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- No digital signature support
- International faxing available
Who Should Use MyFax?
The lack of digital signatures is a deal breaker for some businesses. The low monthly allotments and high prices are also a deal breaker for others. But if neither of those things really matter to you, then MyFax offers plans that can scale to meet the needs of your small to medium-sized business.
eFax Fax Software
eFax was one of the first online faxing companies on the market and it remains popular to this day, although it’s starting to become edged out by its newer, cheaper competitors
eFax is one of the two fax software systems on this list that supports digital signature (RingCentral is the other one). If your company regularly needs to add a verified signature to faxed documents, then this can make the higher average costs of eFax worth it.
eFax is likely the most expensive fax software on this list. Prices start at $16.95 per month and include about 250 sent/received faxes per month. For some businesses, that’s more than enough. But others will appreciate the lower cost per fax of services like Nextiva and RingCentral.
Nevertheless, eFax makes up for it with the most extensive feature set we’ve seen outside of RingCentral.
Here are the current subscription prices for eFax businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Plus ($16.95 Per Month): Receive up to 130 pages per month/Send 130 faxes per month (Overage fees are $0.15 per page for received pages, $0.10 per page for sent pages).
- Pro ($19.95 Per Month): Receive up to 200 pages per month, send up to 200 pages per month (Overage fees are $0.10 per page for both sent and received pages).
Those overage fees and subscription prices make eFax the most expensive option on this list. However, it makes up for its high prices with a wide range of valuable features:
- Digital signature support that allows you to sign faxes online by adding a signature stamp that can easily be dropped into documents
- Send and receive faxes via email or mobile device
- File sharing that lets you send larger files (files that are too large for email) through the eFax app
- Apps for Android and iPhone that let you send and receive faxes at any time
- 24 hour toll-free telephone assistance along with an exhaustive list of troubleshooting tutorials and PDF guides online (you can also contact the company’s tech support team by online chat or email)
- Polished user interface
Who Should Use eFax?
Some businesses and entrepreneurs don’t mind paying a little extra money for better service. If that’s the case with you, then eFax might be a perfect fit. You pay about twice the price as other fax software and have fewer than 200 allotted sent/received pages per month. However, you get features like digital signature support, file sharing, and the best software UI in the industry.
MetroFax Fax Software
MetroFax is a popular basic fax software for businesses and entrepreneurs. With plans starting at $7.95 per month, MetroFax competes with Nextiva in terms of its cheap price tag.
Unlike Nextiva, however, MetroFax lets you send and receive international faxes. So if you want a cheap online fax software that doesn’t cut out international faxing, then MetroFax is a good choice.
The only other major features you lose are the digital signature support and the polished UI. If neither of these things matter much, then MetroFax might be a good fit.
Here are the current prices for businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Essential ($7.95 per Month): Provides 500 total incoming/outgoing faxed pages
- Professional ($39.95 per Month): 2500 total fax pages
With each of those plans, you get the following features:
- Use your business’s current fax number and fax machine
- Android and iOS apps available
- Toll-free and local fax numbers included
- Customer service during normal North American business hours (not 24/7)
- No ability to schedule faxes in the future
Who Should Use MetroFax?
If you want cheap fax software and need features like international faxing, then MetroFax is a great option. Just make sure that you won’t miss features like the lack of fax scheduling and no digital signatures.