Today, I’m going to answer your online fax service frequently asked questions and explain its advantages, disadvantages, pros, and cons.
If you need to send out a fax immediately, I would just sign up for an online fax service like RingCentral Fax.
RingCentral Fax is a computer service that offers a 30 day free trial and then its $17.99/mo. If you want to cancel, Ringcentral also provides a risk-free 30 day money-back guarantee.
Does anyone still use fax machines? Isn’t faxing antiquated?
Some people view fax machines as ancient outdated pieces of technology. These people don’t see the point of using fax machines when we have email, cloud storage, and a bunch of other different ways to send data from one place to another. Fax machines aren’t as popular today as they once were, but that doesn’t mean fax numbers are going away anytime soon. The over 50 demographic, for example, particularly depends on fax machines for daily life. Fax machines also serve a valuable legal purpose when signing important documents.
What are the advantages of using a fax machine in this day and age?
Fax machines come with a number of unique advantages that are still relevant today. Those advantages include:
- Confirmed receipt of transmission: If you want to make sure the receiving party actually received your message, then fax machines are the best way to do that. Unless you’re using a specialized email service, you generally don’t know when someone has received your email. On fax machines, the user can receive a printout of the sent fax as well as a receipt acknowledgement.
- Legal signatures on documents: Faxing continues to be common in industries where signatures are regularly required on documents. If you want to send a signed document as quickly and easily as possible, then virtual faxing is an excellent option.
- Remote communications: If your company is working in remote areas of the planet, then you might not have access to high speed internet. Faxes, however, can be sent and received anywhere with active telephone service. When you’re working in remote areas, you’re more likely to have telephone service than internet service.
- Operational and warehouse industries: Businesses in the operational and warehouse industry often rely on fax machines for fast transmission of documents.
- Legal concerns: The legality of faxes varies from country to country and state to state. However, some believe that signed documents sent via fax have a better legal standing than emails and electronically stored documents.
Are fax machines still safe to use?
Fax machines are generally safe to use. The main security concern with online faxes is that anybody can read the fax when it arrives on the other end. Online faxing avoids this security concern by sending all faxes through a secure email inbox.
How do I fix a fax machine that isn’t sending or receiving faxes?
A fax machine may not be sending or receiving faxes for a number of different reasons. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to fix the issue:
- Check the physical fax line: Make sure your fax line is connected into the correct port at the back of your fax machine. Then, follow that line to the wall and make sure it’s plugged into the correct wall jack. Check the line to make sure there’s no fraying or potential problems along the wire.
- Pick the correct port: Fax machines typically have two ports: one for the fax line and the other for the external handset. Consult your manual to ensure you’re using the correct port.
- Pick the correct wire: Some fax machines – most notably HP fax machines – have proprietary cords. Your HP machine will only work with that proprietary cord. You will not be able to use any other type of cord. Make sure you’ve used the correct line for your machine.
- Check the answering mode on your machine: Fax machines have multiple answering modes. Your fax machine’s answering mode should be set to manual in order for you to send and receive faxes.
- Check ringer settings: Fax machines have multiple ring types. You can set your machine to receive the fax after one, two, or three rings, for example. However, if your fax machine has been set to “voice mail”, then you may not receive faxes at all.
- Google is your friend: If the troubleshooting tips listed above didn’t help, then Google will. You’re probably not the only person in the world to experience this problem and you should be able to find support online. Call the tech support line provided by your fax machine’s manufacturer.
What is online faxing?
Online faxing is a relatively new phenomenon that makes faxing faster and more convenient than ever before.
To access online faxing, you first need to find an online fax service. There are hundreds of different services available today, including large worldwide businesses and smaller local providers.
What are the benefits of online faxing?
Online faxing solves a number of complaints users have about traditional fax machines. Benefits include:
- Faster and more reliable service
- The ability to send and receive faxes as email attachments from wherever you have an internet connection
- Faxes are sent to your secure email inbox for increased security
- Avoid busy signals, paper jams, misplaced faxes, and other problems
- Edit, sign, and return faxes to sender on-the-go
The main benefit of online faxing is increased mobility. Instead of hovering around your fax machine all day waiting for an important document to arrive, you and your team can receive faxes wherever you have an internet connection.
Can I keep my current fax number with online faxing?
Most online fax services let you keep your current fax number when making the switch. This makes the transition as easy and seamless as possible. Some companies charge a small fee for this transition, while others include it in their pricing.
Can multiple people share a single online fax plan?
One of the benefits of online faxing is being able to share a single fax account between multiple users. Online faxing services may include anywhere from 2 to 10 emails on a single account. When setting up your service, you have the option to designate multiple emails. Each email address will receive a copy of every received fax.
I’m not very good with technology. Will that be a problem?
Sending an online fax is ridiculously easy. If you can send an email, then you can send an online fax. To send a fax over the internet, most services require you to simply:
- Open a new email in your normal email inbox
- Attach the document you wish to fax
- In the email address field, type in [Recipient’s Fax number] @ YourOnlineFaxService.com
- Click ‘Send’
That’s it! Your provider will receive that email and automatically convert it into a fax before sending it to your recipient. The entire process takes only seconds.
Can I send faxes anywhere in the world with online faxing?
Most online faxing services have domestic plans and international plans. If you plan on sending faxes around the world, then you may need to pay extra for an international plan. However, you should have no trouble faxing anywhere in the world with online faxing.
Can I fax any type of file or document?
Most online fax services restrict faxes to only a handful of file types, including .DOC, .DOCX., and .PDF. You may, however, find services that allow for a greater range of file types.
Can I send multiple documents in a single fax?
If you need to send more than one document, then you’ll be happy to know that online fax services typically let users attach multiple files to a single fax. To do that, simply create an email and attach as many files as you need to send.
How much do plans typically cost? What should I expect to pay?
Pricing varies widely across providers. Basic faxing plans can start as low as $5 per month, while more advanced plans could cost $20 to $40 per month. Many providers also offer free trials.
How many faxes can I send each month?
A basic plan might allow 500 faxed pages each month, while more advanced plans in the $20 to $40 per month range may include over 2000 faxed pages per month.
Do I have to worry about busy signals with online faxing?
Online faxing makes busy signals a problem of the past. Your fax number is always available – even if your computer is turned off.
Can I fax from any computer?
Yes! Online faxing and faxing via computers is more popular today than it has ever been before. You can fax using nearly any type of computer out there, including computers running Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, and Windows XP, as well as Apple computers running Mac OS.
Can I fax from a tablet or smartphone?
Many online faxing services have mobile apps. These mobile apps can be downloaded onto your smartphone or tablet. They’re designed to make the faxing process as easy as possible. Users are often able to send, view, and edit faxes directly from their mobile device.
If you have any more frequently asked questions about online faxing, then contact us today and we’ll answer as soon as possible!